Friday, June 13, 2008

Famous Last Words...

What a journey! Indeed I have learnt much and absorbed much from this course. Before coming to this course, there is indeed much that I didn't realise and understand about the world of issues in publishing and design. However, thanks to the assistance of Miss Jenny and my ever helpful classmates, my knowledge and understanding of this topic when up a few notches.

Though I would readily admit that I encountered various difficulties and frustrations throughout this court, at the end of the day, it is indeed very satisfying for one to see the fruits of his labour.

One writer that has taught me much is Jakob Nielsen. He taught me three main guidelines I don't think I'll be forgetting anytime soon.
  • Be succinct. Write no more than 50 per cent of what you would write in a printed text.
  • Write for scannability. Don't give the users a hard time browsing through the texts.
  • Use hypertext/hyperlink to split up long information into multiple pages.

These three guidelines is what I based this weblog on and given I have learnt to approach the way an online page is designed and layed out.

This further consolidates my belief that blogs, be it political, infotainment or academic all plays its role in giving me a fresh outlook not just in the various genres presented but on life as a whole. It made me realised the whole importance of technology that is subtly playing in our lives. Whether we realise it or not, the Internet in specific is shaping the way we approach our daily living giving all the fresh ideas that is being generated day by day.

At the end of the day, let's embraced the future together.

Cheers.

Reference List:

1) Nielsen, J 1997, Be Succinct! (Writing for the Web), Viewed on 2 May 2008 at http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9703b.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome blog, do you have twitter or facebook? i will bookmark this page thanks. peace maria

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace klara.